Cost to You and Your Permanent Criminal Record
I’m writing this to give you an idea of what you can expect to spend when you hire me. I don’t want you to get blindsided when we talk about legal fees. I realize this isn’t pocket change. You won’t be flipping over your couch cushions to find it. If you are looking to hire the cheapest lawyer possible, like anything else in life, you get what you pay for. With that being said, it’s something you have to take into consideration when working with me, or any other lawyer.
When you’re faced with jail time or a permanent criminal record, there is a lot more on the line for you than just money. This can have lasting effects on your life. Hiring a lawyer is a big expense but ask yourself… How much did you spend on your last car?
What’s the cost to hire a criminal defense lawyer?
The answer is that it depends on the type of charge or charges and the location.
First, I represent people mostly in Travis and Williamson Counties in Central Texas. This includes Austin, Bee Caves, Manor, Cedar Park, Round Rock, Pflugerville, Hutto, and Taylor to name a few cities. I’m not limited to these cities. If you were arrested outside of these areas, we can negotiate a fee to take into account the traveling that may be required.
– Consultation Fee
I’ll give you a 15 minute phone consultation for free. If you’d like to come in and talk in person, let’s schedule an appointment. After the phone consultation, an in person consultation will cost $100.00 for an hour. If you choose to hire me after that, I’ll roll the consultation fee into the overall cost of legal representation.
– FLAT FEE ESTIMATES – This is what you can roughly expect to spend to hire me for one case (not including trial):
- Toll Road Violations – Negotiations/Settlement with TxTag – $1,500
- Toll Road Violation w/ Class C Failure/Refusal to Pay Toll case in JP Court – $2,000
- Occupational Driver’s License – $750.00
- Record Sealing
- Petition for Exunpction & Order of Expunction – $1,500 (all filing fees included)
- Petition for Non Disclosure & Order of Non Disclosure – $1,500 (all filing fees included)
- Class C Misdemeanor – $1,000 (Public Intoxication, Minor in Possession, Drug Paraphanalia, etc…)
- Class B Misdemeanor – $2,000 (DWI’s with ALR Hearing add $1,000)
- Class A Misdemeanor – $3,000 – $4,000 (DWI’s with ALR Hearing add $1,000)
- State Jail Felony – $5,000
- Third Degree Felony – $7,000
Free Information – If you’re looking for free legal information, take a look through the Blog section of my website. Many of your questions can be answered there.
What do those prices include?
These prices include the following:
- Case Review with attorney Terrence Marsh
- In person review of criminal discovery. This is the evidence the State has against you. You and I will review this together. Criminal discovery is the police reports, probable cause affidavits, witness statements, video, photographs, etc…
- I will personally return your phone calls/emails
- I will personally update you on your case
- I will go to Court with you, every time you have Court
- I will personally advise you of the strengths and weaknesses of your case
- I will directly plea bargaining with the Prosecutor for a lesser punishment. This includes, Deferred Adjudication, Probation, a Dismissal, or a reduced charge from the original arrest.
What this fee DOES NOT include:
All the costs of hiring investigators, lab tests, fines, Court costs, costs of a Trial by Judge, Jury Trial or any Appeal. If investigators are needed, if lab tests need to be done, or we need an expert witness, we can discuss that strategy and discuss payment.
First and Second Degree Felonies
If you are charged with a Second Degree Felony or First Degree Felony you should expect to pay a minimum of $10,000 for any criminal defense lawyer just to start representing you. Again, these charges can mean up to 20 years to life. Legal fees for cases at these levels may be much, much higher because the cases tend to be complicated and your level of risk is much higher.
Multiple Cases in the Same Court
It’s very normal for clients to have multiple criminal charges out of the same arrest or have many cases pending, in different Courts, at the same time. If you have multiple charges in the same Court I’m willing to offer you a discount, on the above flat fee, to represent you for each criminal charge after you hire me for the first. For example, a client may be arrested and charged with public intoxication AND possession of drug paraphernalia during the same incident. Both of these are Class C misdemeanors. I would not charge you for each criminal charge separately Ex. ($1,000 + $1,000). We can discuss rolling all the criminal cases into one price.
Normally I ask for one third of the cost before I start working on your case. The remaining payments may be made monthly over the course of your case. I accept Cash, Check, Credit/Debit Card, and Money Orders. I will be happy to offer you a discount if your entire legal fees are paid up front. I don’t have staff so I offer a discount if I don’t have to spend time trying to collect my fees. Lastly, all payments must be made before your case is over.